Jordan Hamm is a Sports Marketing Specialist and serves as the Trail Athlete Manager at Brooks Running based in Seattle, WA. This is another episode in our mini-series providing insights to the athlete-sponsor relationship in trail running.
(0:36) - how Jordan got started at Brooks Running and became their Trail Athlete Manager
(3:23) - market trends that have led Brooks to invest more in trail running in recent years
(5:59) - what a typical day looks like as a Trail Athlete Manager
(8:03) - how important athletes are in the marketing a shoe brand
(12:53) - the process of scouting for and recruiting athletes to the Brooks team
(17:55) - monitoring Strava segments to scout for and recruit runners
(20:54) - how much emphasis Brooks places on athletic performance versus social media performance
(25:15) - whether Jordan would recommend aspiring sponsored trail runners to focus more on athletic performance or personal brand building
(26:52) - breakdown of full-time versus part-time athletes on the Brooks roster
(32:35) - whether there's enough or some publicly available information for trail athletes to access and use as part of their negotiation with brands
(39:41) - distinction between athletes as independent contractors and employees
(42:56) - whether contract NDAs hurt or help athletes and the brands
(44:48) - whether the presence of NDAs indicates that athletes are getting a bad deal
(46:18) - whether Brooks will experiment with building a co-located trail running team in the future
(51:45) - Brooks events and athletes to watch out for in 2022 and beyond
(53:43) - Scott Jurek's current role at Brooks
- For Kodiak Cakes, use code Singletrack15 at checkout to get 15% off your next order.
- For Insidetracker, go to insidetracker.com/singletrack to get 20% off your next order.
- For Athletic Greens, go to athleticgreens.com/singletrack to get $20 off your monthly subscription + 5 free travel packs and Vitamin D for a year.
- For coaching, go to trailsandtarmac.com
Additional Episodes You May Enjoy:
- #106 - David Kilgore | How On Is Building Their Trail Running Team
- #99 - Robert Muecke | How Adidas Terrex Is Building Their Trail Running Team
- #98 - Steff Gardner | How Salomon Is Building Their North American Trail Running Team
Follow Singletrack on Instagram:
Subscribe to Singletrack on Apple:
Subscribe to Singletrack on Spotify: