Caleb Efta is one of the Race Directors for the High Lonesome 100 in the Sawatch Range of Colorado.
Caleb joins the show to explain why UTMB races have been excluded from the qualifying process for High Lonesome which sets the table for a really interesting conversation about the values of our sport, the nature and purpose of community events, and the increasing commercialization and professionalization in this space.
- 3:30 - introduction, trail runner magazine article quote
- 6:13 - explaining UTMB stance, reasons for exclusion from qualification process
- 25:45 - how these issues should be hashed out by the greater ultrarunning community
- 34:41 - whether corporate races are a threat to grassroots races
- 59:14 - commercialization and professionalization of the sport
- 64:59 - how community values are decided
Additional Episodes You May Enjoy:
Support the show
- #179 - Peter Abraham | Athlete Sponsorship, Live Race Coverage, Fan Creation In Trail Running
- #135 - Kelly Newlon | Real Athlete Diets, Crewing FKT Projects, Athlete Sponsorship Thoughts